The OS/400 runs on IBM’s AS/400 mini-computers. OS/400 was designed by using the best of System 38 and System 36. The operating system was design using object-oriented programming techniques. System resources are treated as objects along with messages. No other operating system manufacturer uses object oriented operating systems (OOOS) on the scale of this magnitude in the business world. Features like communications, built-in database support, transaction processing, and system security were bolted on to the O/S in other operating systems like Unix and Linus over the years, these features were fully integrated in the design of OS/400 from day one. This approach has been a huge advantage and as a result the OS/400 is the only O/S to have never been infected by malware. Object Oriented O/S works differently than Unix O/S, MAC O/S or Windows O/S. The OO O/S reads the objects label before executing the code preventing unknown objects for executing.
System administrators have enjoyed the AS/400 as soon as it comes out of the box. IBM has designed the AS/400 to function like a “plug and play” computer, but with a much larger than life scale-ability and power. The AS/400 has evolved into System “i” and continues to be the silver lining in IBM’s darkest clouds. For example in February 1993 IBM’s future as a major player in the computing world was at risk as their keystone market based on Mainframes was dramatically reduced. Because of the AS/400 success at the time, with over 800,000 servers installed globally IBM took ran a full page ad in the New York Times proclaiming “You ain’t seen nothing yet.
An object-oriented approach is fundamental to the system architecture of the AS/400. On traditional systems only compiled programs are called objects. This is not true on the AS/400. In addition to compiled programs, many other items are also objects on the AS/400. In fact, nearly everything on the AS/400 is an object, and objects are differentiated from one another by their names and types. Each type of object has unique characteristics and purposes within the system.
Among the major types of objects are programs, files, libraries, commands, user profiles, job descriptions, folders, subsystems, job queues, message queues, and output queues. AS/400 object management provides functions necessary to group objects, to differentiate object types, and to locate and retrieve objects needed for processing.
Object management keeps track of files, programs, libraries, queues, and all other types of objects on the system. Object-oriented architecture offers users flexibility in performing system and programming functions on the system.
There is a long list of objects on the AS/400 which I have provided below.
- *LIB: Library (where everything below, except directories and stream files, is stored; libraries cannot exist within other libraries)
- *PGM: Program (for compiled languages: CL, RPG-IV, C, C++, COBOL, etc. and there are no interface restrictions between the languages).
- *MODULE: Module (linkable into a program from a compiled language above and here too there are no restrictions on linkability between languages).
- *SRVPGM: Service program (dynamic set of one or more modules, akin to a DLL file in Microsoft Windows).
- *BNDDIR: Binding directory (holds a list of modules and service programs and is used when creating programs).
- *CMD: Command (an object used for calling programs that allows users to prompt for their parameters; can be created with the Command Definition language). See AS/400 Control Language for more information.
- *MENU: Menu (accessed with the GO command).
- *FILE: File (AS/400 files can be used for data, input/output devices, and source code, depending on sub type).
- *DTAARA: Data area (small bits of storage used to store tiny items of data for fast access).
- *DIR: Directory (part of the Integrated File System that is equivalent to Unix and Microsoft Windows hierarchical file systems).
- *STMF: Stream file (traditional file that would be familiar to most Unix and Microsoft Windows users and only stored in directories)
- *JRN & *JRNRCV: Journal and journal receiver (used to journal changes to files, data areas, and stream files).
- *USRPRF: User profile (allows users to sign-on to the system).
- *JOBD: Job description (used when submitting/starting jobs).
- *SBSD: Subsystem description (used when starting subsystems; this is the place where user jobs run).
- *JOBQ: Job queue (used to queue up batch jobs to run in a subsystem).
- *LIND: Line description (communications line: Ethernet, token ring, etc.).
- *CTLD: Controller description (communications controller for lines, workstations, etc.).
- *DEVD: Device description (communications device for lines, workstations, printers tape drives, etc.)
- *DTAQ: Data queue (used to queue up data entries for fast retrieval by other jobs).
- *MSGQ: Message queue (used to send message to users, can also be used like a data queue).
- *OUTQ: Output queue (used to queue up output to a printer).
- *USRSPC: User space – a generic data-containing object of arbitrary size (up to 16T).
Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award 1990 Recipient
IBM Rochester AS/400 Division
The IBM Rochester quality culture has been transformed from reliance on technology driven processes delivering products to market driven processes directly involving suppliers, business partners, and customers delivering solutions. A 30 percent improvement in productivity occurred between 1986 and 1989.
Product development time for new mid-range computer systems has been reduced by more than half, while the manufacturing cycle has been trimmed 60 percent since 1983. Customers have benefited from a threefold increase in product reliability; an increase from 3 to 12 months in the product warranty period; and a cost of ownership that is among the lowest in the industry. IBM’s share of the world market for intermediate computers increased in both 1988 and 1989.
In October 1995, the AS/400 formally received its first C2 security rating from the United States Department of Defense. This original C2 security rating is for V2R3 of OS/400, Source Entry Utility, Query/400, SAA Structured Query Language/400, and Common Cryptographic Architecture Services/400. The C2 security rating was awarded after a rigorous, multi-year period of evaluation. The AS/400 is the first system to achieve a C2 security rating for a system (hardware and operating system) with an integrated, fullfunction database.
Companies Who Use AS400 or iSeries
- Bay Minette – Quincy Compressor
- Birmingham – Hibbett Sports
- Gadsden – Gadsden Regional Medical Center
- Mobile – Bishop State Community College
- Montgomery – Alabama State Personnel Dept
- ** Birmingham – Motion Industries Inc.
- ** Birmingham – Shelby Vesta Insurance
- ** Dothan – AAA Cooper Transportation
Phoenix – USA Managed Care
- Scottsdale – Belcan
- ** Scottsdale – Allied Waste Industries
- El Dorado – Teris, LLC
- Siloam Springs – DaySpring Cards
- ** Fayetteville – Airways Freight
- ** Siloam Springs – Allen Canning Company
- ** Tontittown – P.A.M. Transportation Services Inc.
- Anaheim – Pacific Sunwear
- Carlsbad – Sunrise Medical
- Chico – City Government
- Costa Mesa – PacifiCare
- El Segundo – Mattel
- Irvine – Irvine Ranch Water District
- Irvine – Tilly’s
- Lake Forest – Apria Healthcare
- Lake Forest – Barbeques Galore
- Los Angeles – Warner Music Group
- Oakland – Cost Plus World Market
- Oakland – Eljer Plumbingware
- Orange – Master Halco
- Redwood City – Menlo Worldwide
- Sacramento – Nor Cal Beverage
- Sacramento – Sutter Health
- Salinas – Fresh Express
- San Diego – Dixieline Lumber Company
- San Francisco – Williams-Sonoma
- Sherman Oaks – Sunkist Growers Inc.
- Temcula – FFF Enterprises
- Tustin – Toshiba Medical Systems
- Van Nuys – US Healthworks
- ** Bakersfield – Cox Petroleum Transport
- ** Burbank – P. L. Porter Controls Inc.
- ** Carlsbad – Ashworth Inc.
- ** Chatsworth – Lamps Plus
- Pueblo – Board of Public Water Works
- ** Wheat Ridge – Leonard’s Express Inc.
- Bethel – Cannondale Bicycle Company
- Bristol – Bristol Hospital
- Fairfield – Bigelow Tea Company
- Stamford – AmeriCares
- Stamford – Daymon Worldwide
- ** Manchester – Aeorspace Alloys Inc.
- Boca Raton – Purity Wholesale Grocers Inc.
- Bradenton – Bealls
- Clearwater – BIC Special Markets Division
- Clearwater – Lincare
- Coral Gables – Stiefel Laboratories
- Davenport – Heart of Florida Regional Medical Center
- Daytona – AMICAS Inc.
- Deerfield Beach – City Government
- Deerfield Beach – Food For The Poor, Inc.
- Deerfield Beach – MAPEI
- Delray Beach – City Government
- Delray Beach – Meisner Electric
- Ft Lauderdale – Vista Healthplan
- Ft Lauderdale – Republic Services, Inc.
- Ft Meyers – Bill Smith Appliances & Electronics
- Ft Meyers – Chico’s FAS
- Ft Meyers – The News-Press
- Gainesville – Nelnet
- Highlands County – Highlands County School District
- Holly Hill – Halifax Community Health System
- Hollywood – City Government
- Jacksonville – Coach
- Jacksonville – Landstar
- Jacksonville – Stein Mart
- Jacksonville – The Stellar Group
- Jacksonville – Trailer Bridge
- Jupiter – Town Government
- Lake Mary – SunGard HTE
- Lakeland – Summit Holdings Southeast
- Largo – BBF Printing
- Largo – Linvatec
- Largo – Smith & Nephew
- Manatee County – Manatee County School System
- Margate – City Government
- Miami – Kelly Tractor Company
- Miami – RBC Dain Rauscher
- Ocala – City of Ocala
- Ocala – Closet Maid
- Oldsmar – SRI/Surgical Express
- Orlando – Fidelity Information Services
- Orlando – Siemens
- Orlando – Universal Studios
- Companies Who Use AS400 or iSeries
- Osceola County – The School District of Osceola County
- Oviedo – City Government
- Pasco County – Pasco County School System
- Pasco County – Pasco County Sherrifs Department
- Pinellas County – Pinellas County School System
- Pinellas County – Pinellas County Sheriffs Department
- Pinellas Park – Plenums
- Plant City – Paso Fino Horse Association
- Punta Gorda – Charlotte Regional Medical Center
- Sanford – Sanford City Government
- Sarasota – Florikan
- Sarasota – Sarasota County School System
- Sarasota – Teltronics
- St Augustine – Tree of Life
- St Petersburg – Bankers Insurance
- St Petersburg – City Government
- Sunrise – Everglades Direct, Inc.
- Tamarac – City Furniture
- Tampa – McNichols
- Tampa – New York Life
- Tampa – Pharmerica
- Venice – PGT Industries
- Vero Beach – Indian River Memorial Hospital
- West Melbourne – City of West Melbourne
- Weston – Andrx Corporation
- Winter Park – Hubbard Construction Company
- Winter Park – Rotech Healthcare
- ** Arcadia – Coastal Recovery Centers
- ** Belle Glade – Sugar Cane Growers Cooperative
- ** Boca Raton – Little Switzerland
- ** Clearwater – Melitta Coffee
- ** Jacksonville – Baker Distributing
- ** Jacksonville – Gate Petroleum Company
- ** Lake Worth – Transeastern Homes
- ** Lakeland – Juice Bowl Products Inc.
- ** Miami – Barfield Inc.
- ** Miami – Canon Latin America
- ** Miami – Eastern National Bank
- ** New Port Richey – Pall Corporation
- ** Orlando – Florida Pest Control
- ** Sarasota – Arrow Environmental Services Inc.
- ** St Petersburg – Mercury Medical
- ** Tallahassee – C&W Food Service
- ** Tallahassee – Florida Bar Association
- ** Tampa – CP Ships
- ** Temple Terrace – Florida Orthopaedic Institute
- ** Titusville – Eckler’s Corvette Parts and Accessories
- Alpharetta – Inovis, Inc.
- Athens – Athens Regional Medical Center
- Atlanta – AmeriCold Logistics
- Atlanta – Genuine Parts Company (NAPA)
- Atlanta – Georgia-Pacific Corporation
- Atlanta – Havertys Furniture Inc
- Atlanta – Shepherd Center
- Atlanta – Simmons Company
- Augusta – St. Joseph Hospital
- Duluth – SAIS Motors, Inc.
- Newnan – William L Bonnell Company
- Norcross – Alcoa
- Norcross – Rock-Tennessee Company
- Sea Island – Sea Island Company
- ** Atlanta – Manheim Auctions
- ** Atlanta – Orkin
- ** Augusta – Augusta Sportswear
- ** Calhoun – The Dixie Group
- ** Marietta – Cobb Electric Membership Cooperative
- Meridian – MWI Veterinary Supply
- Meridian – Western States Equipment
- Sandpoint – Coldwater Creek
- Burr Ridge – TimeMed Labeling Systems
- Chicago – Acordia
- Chicago – Chicago Metallic
- Chicago – Oil Dri Corporation of America
- Deerfield – Baxter
- Des Plains – DSC Logistics
- Downers Grove – Pepperidge Farm
- Elk Grove – Universal Casualty
- Franklin Park – Castle Metals
- Lake County – Abbott Laboratories
- Naperville – Factory Card and Party Outlet
- Peoria – Proctor Hospital
- Rochelle – Rochelle Community Hospital
- Roselle – Clarke Mosquito Control
- Schaumburg – Motorola, Inc.
- Spring Grove – Intermatic, Inc.
- Springfield – Bunn-O-Matic Corporation
- Urbana – University of Illinois Foundation
- Waukegan – Uline Shipping Supply Specialists
- ** Arlington Heights – American Freedom Insurance Company
- ** Chicago – C P Hall Company
- ** Chicago – Vienna Beef
- ** Des Plains – Interstate Steel Company
- ** Lake Forest – Packaging Corporation of America
- Evansville – AIG – American General Financial Services
- Indianapolis – Vitran Express, Inc.
- Lafayette – Fairfield Manufacturing
- Middlebury – Jayco
- South Bend – City Government
- Warsaw – Medtronics, Inc.
- ** Bristol – Robert Weed Plywood
- ** Plymouth – Plymouth Foundry
- Coralville – Heartland Express
- Des Moines – American Republic Insurance Company
- Des Moines – Kemin Companies
- ** Carroll – Farner-Bocken Company
- Shawnee Mission – Deffenbaugh Industries, Inc.
- ** Independence – Prestige Cabinets
- ** McPherson – Femco, Inc.
- Highland Heights – General Cable
- Baton Rouge – LCR-M
- Covington – Gilsbar
- Houma – City Government
- ** Baton Rouge – Louisiana Board of Regents
- ** Baton Rouge – Piccadilly Restaurants
- ** Ponchatoula – Elmer Candy Company
- ** Winthrop – Saunders Manufacturing Company
- Hagerstown – GST AutoLeather
- Boston – First Marblehead
- Braintree – Haemonetics Corp
- Concord – Welch’s
- Framingham – Staples
- Natick – BJ’s Wholesale Club
- South Deerfield – Yankee Candle Company
- Stoneham – A W Chesterton Company
- Sudbury – Oco-inc
- Webster – Commerce Insurance Company
- ** North Andover – Bake’n Joy Foods
- Detroit – Plastipak Packaging, Inc.
- Fremont – Fremont Mutual Insurance Company
- Grand Rapids – S. Abraham & Sons, Inc.
- Holland – Gill Industries
- Kalamazoo – Stryker
- Mason – Dart Container
- Niles – Carrier
- Saginaw – Duro-Last Roofing Inc.
- Tecumseh – Tecumseh Products
- Troy – Oxford Automotive
- West Branch – West Branch Regional Medical Center
- ** Detroit – Wolverine Packing Company
- ** Grand Rapids – Meridian Automotive Systems
- ** Madison Heights – Cadillac Coffee Company
- ** Novi – Cooper Standard
- ** Romulus – KACE Logistics
- Edina – Regis Corporation
- Hutchinson – Hutchinson Technology
- Minneapolis – Target
- Minnetonka – Cargill
- Minnetonka – G & K Services
- Rochester – Mayo Clinic
- Wilmar – Jennie-O Turkey
- ** Faribault – ABC Companies
- ** Hugo – Northern Wholesale Supply
- DeSoto County – County Government
- Fenton – John Fabick Tractor Company
- Hazelwood – Mallinckrodt
- Liberty – Lear Corporation
- Maryland Heights – Magellan Health Services
- Springfield – Bass Pro
- Springfield – Digital Monitoring Products Inc.
- St Louis – Masterchem
- ** Kansas City – Harley-Davidson
- ** St Louis – White-Rodgers
- Bozeman – Montana State University
- Grand Island – Grand Island Public Schools
- Lincoln – Crete Carrier Corporation
- Lincoln – Lincoln Public Schools
- Lincoln – Security Financial Life Insurance Company
- Omaha – Omaha Steaks
- Omaha – Werner Enterprises
- Sidney – Cabela’s
- Las Vegas – Boyd Gaming Corporation
- Las Vegas – Cardinal Health
- Las Vegas – Four Queens Hotel and Casino
- Sparks – Scolari’s Food and Drug Company
- ** Minden – Douglas County Government
- Merrimack – Brookstone
- Portsmouth – Ocean National Bank
- ** Elizabethtown – Hedaya Home Fashions
- ** Tilton – J. Jill Group
- Atlantic City – Bally Gaming and Systems
- Bridgewater – Phillips-Van Heusen Corporation
- Freehold – CentraState Healthcare System
- North Bergen – Vitamin Shoppe Industries, Inc.
- Secaucus – Kenneth Cole Productions
- Union – Bed Bath and Beyond
- ** Metuchen – Franco Manufacturing Company
- ** Secaucus – General Glass International
- Albuquerque – Sandia Laboratory Federal Credit Union
- Farmington – City Government
- Binghamton – Time Warner Cable
- Buffalo – HSBC
- Hempsted – National Wholesale Liquidators
- Manhattan – ADP
- Manhattan – Godiva Choclatiers
- New York City – Clarins, USA
- New York City – Duane Reade Inc.
- Rochester – Citizens Communications
- ** Buffalo – Sorrento Lactalis Inc.
- ** Hauppauge – Regent Sports Corporation
- ** Mt Kisco – HCC Insurance Holdings
- ** New York – Tiffany & Company
- ** Niagara Falls – Seneca Niagara Casino
- ** Rochester – Simcona Electronics Corp
- ** Roslyn – Apple & Eve L. L. P.
- West Babylon – Winters Brothers Disposal
- Asheville – Asheville Citizen-Times
- Charlotte – Cox-Little & Company
- Charlotte – Sunbelt Rentals
- Greensboro – CGR Valley Products
- Greensboro – Guilford County Schools
- Greensboro – Kay Chemical Company
- Kinston – Electrolux Home Products
- Raleigh – A W Chesterton Company
- Raleigh – Cigna Corporation
- Raleigh – Waste Industries, Inc.
- Wilmington – North Carolina State Ports
- Winston-Salem – Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
- Winston-Salem – Sara Lee Branded Apparel
- ** Greensboro – CGR Valley Products
- ** Greensboro – J. L. Rothrock Inc.
- ** Hickory – Shurtape Technologies
- ** Winston-Salem – National Textiles
- Fargo – Scheels All Sports
- Grand Forks – Amazon.com
- Archbold – Sauder Woodworking Company
- Akron – GOJO Industries
- Bowling Green – Bowling Green State University
- Bowling Green – Sky Financial Group
- Chardon – Pentair Inc.
- Cincinnati – Cintas Corporation
- Cincinnati – Cole National Corporation
- Cincinnati – Formica Corporation
- Cleveland – Barnes Distribution
- Cleveland – Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Cleveland – Things Remembered
- Columbus – Bob Evans Farms (Restaurants)
- Maumee – Hickory Farms
- North Canton – Trans World Entertainment Corp
- Toledo – Dana Corporation
- Toledo – The Toledo Clinic
- West Chester – Cornerstone Consolidated Services Group
- ** Cincinnati – Robbins Sports Surfaces
- ** Cleveland – Oatey Company
- ** Holland – Bunting Bearings
- ** Sugarcreek – Sugarcreek Industries
- Oklahoma City – Hobby Lobby
- Portland – Liberty Northwest
- Companies Who Use AS400 or iSeries
- Beaver – Eaton Automotive (Electrical Group)
- Camp Hill – Arnold Logistics
- King of Prussia – Universal Health Services
- Lehigh Valley – Olympus America, Inc.
- Philadelphia – Rohm and Haas (Morton Salt)
- Pittsburg – Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Pittsburg – FedEx
- Valley Forge – AmerisourceBergen
- ** Philadelphia – Almo Corporation
- ** Somerset – Wheeler Brothers Inc.
- Columbia – Blanchard Machinery Company
- Seneca – Tyco Healthcare
- Spartanburg – Carrier
- ** Cheraw – Carolina Canners
- ** Columbia – Consolidated Systems Incorporated
- ** Mt Holly – JW Aluminum
- Goodlettsville – Dollar General Corporation
- Memphis – Harrah’s Entertainment Company
- Memphis – Ozark Motor Lines
- Nashville – Bridgestone Firestone
- Nashville – Healthcare Management Systems
- Nashville – Ozburn-Hessey Logistics
- ** Knoxville – Holston Gases
- ** Morristown – Falcon Products
- Addison – Palm Harbor Homes
- Dallas – Blockbuster
- Dallas – Dean Foods
- Dallas – Glazers Wholesale Drug Company
- Fort Worth – Alcon Labs
- Grand Prairie – Poly-America
- Houston – Garden Ridge
- Houston – Lennar Corporation
- Houston – R & M Energy Systems
- Houston – Republic Beverage Company
- Houston – Sysco Corporation
- Lewisville – Centex Home Equity
- Stafford – Sun & Ski Sports
- ** Dallas – Air Vent, Inc.
- ** El Paso – Big 8 Food Stores
- ** San Antonio – Labatt Food Service
- ** San Antonio – Southwestern Motor Transport
- Logan – ICON Health & Fitness
- Salt Lake City – C R England Trucking
- ** Salt Lake City – Intermountain Healthcare
- Brattleboro – C&S Wholesale Grocers
- Winooski – VSAC
- Chesapeake – Dollar Tree Stores
- McLean – Gannett Company, Inc.
- Norfolk – Goodman & Company
- Stanleytown – Stanley Furniture Company
- Vienna – Feld Entertainment/Ringling Brothers
- Williamsburg – Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
- Woodbridge – Potomac Hospital
- ** Richmond – Circuit City
- North Bend – Nintendo of America, Inc.
- Oak Harbor – Whidbey Island Bank
- Pacific – Gordon Trucking, Inc.
- Seattle – Puget Sound Blood Center
- Seattle – Starbucks Coffee Company
- Seattle – Sur La Table
- Tacoma – Milgard Manufacturing
- Vancouver – Louisiana Pacific Corporation
- Wenatchee – Central Washington Hospital
- Woodinville – Campbell’s Soup Company
- Washington DC – Carr America Realty Corporation
- ** Newell – The Homer Laughlin China Company
- Arcadia – Ashley Furniture Industries
- Beaver Dam – Beaver Dam Community Hospital
- Durand – Bauer Built Inc.
- Kohler – Johnsonville Sausage
- La Crosse – Kwik Trip Inc.
- Menasha – BANTA Corporation
- Middleton – Springs Industries
- Milwaukee – Robert W. Baird & Company
- Neenah – Kimberly Clarke Corporation
- Oshkosh – OshKosh B’Gosh
- Sheboygan – Bemis Manufacturing
- Waterloo – Trek Bicycle Corporation
- ** Antigo – Langlade County
- ** Green Bay – Packerland Packing Company
- ** Milwaukee – Velvac
- ** Mukwonago – Sequist Closures
Executive Cyber Security & Privacy Project Manager, Sr. Security Architect & Strategic Adviser
Secure Knowledge Management Inc.